Our son LOVES eating Chocolate Hummus as dessert, dipping pretzel sticks or strawberries in it. He thinks of it as “chocolate dip” and we think of it as a parenting win because who doesn’t like getting kids to eat healthy (or at least semi-healthy) things?! Of course, we also thoroughly enjoy eating it and it’s virtually guilt-free!
- 1 can garbanzo beans strained and rinsed well
- 4-5 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder (for this recipe, I prefer the Nestle brand or a higher end brand such as Ghirardelli. The Hershey’s brand sometimes has a tad bit of a bitter aftertaste)
- 3-4 tablespoons water as needed
- Add all ingredients except the water into a blender (a food processor will also work).
- Add 2 tablespoons of the water.
- Blend until smooth, adding the rest of the water by single tablespoons, as needed, to reach your desired consistency. I also like to stop the blender a few times to scrape down the sides for an even puree.
- Taste and add more water and/or syrup as desired.