Below is our family favorite recipe for Salisbury Steak. It’s one of those meals that everyone – even the toddler- enjoys. Simple ingredients and a few easy instructions, makes for a savory and delicious dinner that comes together quickly! Served with mashed potatoes and your favorite steamed veggie, it’s the perfect comfort food.
What Kind of Ground Beef Should I Use?
I prefer 90% lean ground beef for Salisbury Steaks. Another option is to use the premade patties! I like to keep a package of those in in our chest freezer to have on hand for when there isn’t enough time to make them from scratch. They are perfect to make this recipe in a pinch.
- 1 lbs Ground beef
- 2 cups Beef broth
- 1 cup Fresh onion chopped
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ cup cold water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley for garnish, optional
- Divide beef equally and form 4 patties.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat skillet over medium high heat and brown hamburger patties on both sides. About 3 minutes per side.
- Remove the patties from the pan and set aside.
- Sauté chopped onions in leftover beef fat for about 3 minutes. If there is none, use 1 tablespoon olive oil. If there is too much fat, drain some first before adding in the onions.
- Add the 2 cups beef broth to the onions in the skillet and heat until boiling. Once it reached boiling, lower the heat to medium low.
- Add the 2 tablespoons of cornstarch to the cold water and mix well.
- Stirring constantly, add the water/cornstarch mixture to the broth and onions. Season with salt and pepper to taste. If needed, you can add a little bit more cornstarch/water mixture at a time until the gravy reaches the desired consistency.
- Place hamburger patties back into the pan with the gravy and cover with a lid.
- Continue cooking until hamburger is thoroughly cooked, about 10-15 minutes. The internal temperature of the patties should be at least 160° F when taken with a meat thermometer. During the last 5 minutes, remove the lid to allow the gravy to thicken.
- Garnish with freshly chopped parsley.
Salisbury Steak is usually served over mashed potatoes but it could be served with rice or toasted bread as well. Some suggestions for vegetable to serve with it are:
- Green beans
- Brussel Sprouts
Another variation is to add sliced fresh mushrooms to the chopped onions to create a mushroom gravy. You would add in 1 cup of mushrooms at Step 5 in the instructions above.