This Watermelon Basil Salad is the epitome of summer. Sweet, juicy watermelon and savory feta with sweet basil. It’s the perfect combination, made in summertime heaven!
How To Make It:
There are three stars to this show- watermelon, fresh sweet basil and feta cheese. Next up is a simple dressing that brings all of the flavors together. Once combined, I recommend chilling the salad and serving it cold. Alternatively, if your watermelon has already been chilled before you cut it, feel free to serve immediately!
The key to making a nice watermelon salad is to cut the the watermelon in cubes/chunks no larger than 1″. As you see in my pictures, I prefer to cut it about 1/2″. If the pieces are too large, it’s not only more difficult to serve up, but also harder to store. The smaller pieces allow it to nicely fit on a plate.
Fresh Sweet Basil
Thoroughly rinse and finely chop the fresh sweet basil. Basil can sometimes be on the bitter side, as a result, you want to make sure the pieces are small to not overpower the other flavors.
The small 5oz containers are perfect because you use the whole thing and don’t have to worry about what to do with leftovers.
The dressing on the Watermelon Basil Salad is simple: olive oil, lime juice, salt and pepper. Easy!
Watermelon Basil Salad with Feta
- 6 cups fresh watermelon cut into ½" to 1" cubes
- ½ cup fresh basil rinsed and finely chopped
- 5 oz feta cheese crumbled
- extra basil leaves for garnish
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ oz fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- After removing the rind from a seedless watermelon, cut into 1" to ½" pieces, until you have 6 cups.
- Add the cut watermelon to a medium sized bowl.
- Add the basil and feta to the bowl with the water melon gently stir to combine.
- Combine all of the dressing ingredients in a small bowl and whisk together.
- Pour the dressing over the watermelon salad and gently stir again to ensure it's even coated.
- Chill and serve cold.
- Garnish with fresh basil leaves, if desired.