This Ginger Whiskey Sour recipe is based off of my Basil Whiskey Sour but I’m putting ginger in everything these days and drinks are no exception!
If you like a classic whiskey sour, this one is a MUST try. The spice of the ginger nicely balances out the pucker from the lemon, and acts as an extra refreshing member of the spicy-sweet-sour combo.
Feel free to follow the directions below; but if you’re feeling adventurous, try making our Ginger Infused Bourbon Whiskey ahead of time and use that as the spirit in this cocktail!
I think using the infused ginger provides the smoothest result, but using fresh ginger makes a very refreshing cocktail over ice!
What to do with the Fresh Ginger
Look for a nice, plump piece about 1 inch in diameter. Cut a section about 1 inch long and peel it. Slice it into about 4 slice 1/4 inch thick. Place ginger in shaker with lemon juice and muddle gently to release the flavor. Add simple syrup and whiskey. From there, continue on with step two in the instructions below!
The spicy ginger compliments the bourbon in a harmony of flavors.
Ginger Whiskey Sour
- 1 inch piece ginger peeled and sliced
- 1 ounce lemon juice freshly squeezed (typically a half lemon or more)
- 3/4 ounce simple syrup
- 2 ounces bourbon whiskey
- lemon peel for garnish
- 1 fresh or candied ginger chunks for garnish
- Add ginger slices, lemon juice, simple syrup, ginger and whiskey to cocktail shaker.
- Muddle the ginger slices well.
- Add a handful of ice to shaker and shake vigorously until the shaker has frosted on the outside.
- Pour in a glass over ice and garnish with lemon peel and candied ginger.
Check out my other BEVERAGE recipes or my DRINKS board on Pinterest!
Leave a Reply